Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Baby feeding adventures: try this kumquat now or be forever bland

My college boyfriend's roommate only ate things that were shades of yellow or orange. The only vegetable he ate was baby carrots. They didn't have the green tops. He'd eat pizza with no sauce (is it still pizza?) and drink a few too many beers. His skin was pasty and I think maybe he was molting... he is by far the pickiest eater I have ever met. He was a heck of a fun (quirky) time- so I hope he is still around.

Anyway, I don't feel so bad that Alex has yet to ingest a green bean with no companion. He will eat disguised versions as long as I blend them with at least 3/4 of a food he likes better. So, I will keep putting those limp, grinch fingers on his tray until he puts it in his mouth and smiles instead of pelting Loki (our schnauzer).

This strategy has worked for several other foods--- for example, avocado went from baby smash to yum around 8 months.

A new study has just been released that suggests that if you feed an infant variety from the start, they are more likely to eat healthfully when they are older. The research also suggests that infants and toddlers should play a role in determining how much they eat... this helps with their 'stop' function when they are older and as older children and adults they will be less likely to overeat.

Anyway, I need some chocolate now. Too late to completely retrain this Mama. But thankfully I don't like to spend a lot of time cooking- because I don't have any baked goods to gnash on.

No comments:

Post a Comment